From Luis Palau Minsitires, Saturday, June 21, 2008
THE EVENT — This major service project in Portland’s “Season of Service” will bring together resources and volunteer labor from area businesses, public agencies and the faith community to work on significant facility and grounds improvements at Portland’s historic Roosevelt High School.
Saturday, June 21 – 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Roosevelt High School, 6941 N Central St., Portland, OR 97203
Portland Public Schools; the Luis Palau Association; Nike; Miller Paint; Southlake Foursquare Church; St. Johns community volunteers; eventBuilders
As many as 1000 volunteers will gather at the Roosevelt High School campus on Saturday morning, June 21st to participate in an ambitious “makeover” of Roosevelt High School.
· Roosevelt is one of the oldest schools in the district with a rich history. Built in 1923, the campus has fallen into serious disrepair. More than 80% of Roosevelt students participate in a publicly-funded meal program. An estimated 20% are currently living in a homeless environment or have experienced homelessness while attending Roosevelt.
· Teams of volunteers from the St. Johns community, alumni organizations, and Southlake Foursquare Church in Stafford will tackle general cleaning, painting, landscaping, maintenance and general image uplift projects. There will be extensive painting thanks to Miller Paint. Construction-grade equipment including tractors, backhoes, lifts, and power tools has been donated.
· Principal areas of focus include the campus grounds, the main entrance, the auditorium, the faculty lounge, the nursery playground, and the main hallways. Southlake Church intends to return for another workday later in the summer.
· In addition to volunteer labor, Southlake Church is hosting a picnic and barbeque for all participants, a stage and sound system and musical entertainment from the Southlake Band.
· The morning of labor will wrap with the picnic and remarks from some key leaders including global evangelist Luis Palau; Nike spokespersons Wilson Smith and Mike Bergmann; Nick Fish, Portland councilperson elect; Rich Recker and Principal Deborah Peterson, Roosevelt High School
9:00 AM Registration and work assignments
9:30-11:45 AM Campus-wide work
11:30 AM Media interviews with leadership
Noon Picnic and Barbeque begins
12:10 speakers and music commence
MEDIA Craig Chastain 503-939-5535 [email protected]
# # #
Disclaimer: Articles featured on Oregon Report are the creation, responsibility and opinion of the authoring individual or organization which is featured at the top of every article.